It’s Fall Harvest Time!!
Summer fun is over and time for fall maintenance on the homes before the cold weather months hit!
Here are some tips to keep your home staying warm and comfortable:
- Clean out the chimney and fireplace. Dark tar can build up and easily ignite, causing a fire. You can purchase chimney cleaner at stores or contact chimney sweepers in your area.
- Check your seals on windows and doors, and repair any cracks or broken seals.
- Make sure you are replacing your smoke detector batteries every 6 months. Check expiration on first aid kits and fire extinguishers.
- Check indoor pipes for any leaks or cracks. Make sure you give priority to the pipes closest to the outdoors that are most likely to freeze.
- When the leaves turn in fall, they are pretty but can cause damage to yards and gutters.
- Disconnect any garden hoses, and if possible, turn off water to outside faucets.
- Store any outdoor furniture that may be damaged from snow or ice.
- Have your roof checked for any broken tiles, loose shingles or cracks.
Not only does your home need maintenance but you might need to adjust your driving depending on where you live. The beautiful golden brown, orange, yellow and red leave make for a beautiful hike, but cause hazardous road conditions. The falling leaves and rain can cause slick road surfaces. Sun glare and changing light conditions, with an increase in deer activity, can make driving dangerous if you aren’t prepared.
Here are some driving tips to keep you safe:
- Falling temperatures at night can cause your windows to frost and ice to form on roads. Use caution when you go over bridges and overpasses. The freezing and thawing of water on roadways can increase cracks and cause more potholes on pavement.
- Use safe distance when driving on wet leaves. Never drive through a pile of leave or park on a pile of leaves.
- Check your tire pressure and make sure your spare is properly inflated and all have plenty of tread.
- If you live in an area with a large deer population, use caution at dawn and dusk. They are more active in fall and tend to travel in groups.
At 21st Insurance Agency we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. For further questions and assistance, please contact us at 844-343-9408 or Contact us online