When a big storm hits, you hunker down inside, relying on your home to protect you and your family. Once that storm passes, though, it’s time to repay the favor — identifying damage and protecting your home from further issues. The National Storm Damage Center has a number of resources and tips for homeowners. Here are four major things the center and 21st Insurance recommend you check after a storm:
1. Your roof. If you see holes, split seams or missing shingles on your roof or if you notice leaking inside or out, it’s a good idea to contact your insurance company.
2. Your exterior. Siding, brick and stucco are all vulnerable to storm damage. You’ll want to look for cracking, chipping or dings and dents in siding, and for holes in stucco. Look closely and at different times of the day. Some homeowners don’t notice damage until it’s too late to file a claim, and different lighting can reveal damage you didn’t see before.
3. Driveways and walkways. Cracking and splitting can create safety hazards, as well as reduce the life-span of the concrete.
4. Trees. According to the National Storm Damage Center, fallen trees and limbs cause more than $1 billion in damage annually. Check roofs, vehicles, fences and machinery for fallen limbs that may have caused damage or could pose a risk. Clean up what you safely can and rely on a reputable tree removal service to handle the rest. Depending on the circumstances, your homeowners insurance policy may help with tree removal and damage repair costs – if you experience a covered loss, that is.
5. Keep trees well maintained and trimmed. Also notify neighbors if you see any overhanging branches on any of theirs.
6. Know your insurance. Take a look at your policy so you know what’s covered, what your limits and deductibles are, etc. This will prevent any surprises during the claims process.
7. Take pictures. Photographs can help you show the cause and extent of any storm damage that occurs.
Of course, if you’ve suffered through a major storm, don’t hesitate to call us at 21st Insurance Agency.
At 21st Insurance Agency we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. For further questions and assistance, please contact us at 844-343-9408 or Contact us online
Content provided by Safeco Insurance
|You may also be interested in...|